#odoodaysit - 4) Pedro M. R. Baeza: The Odoo ecosystem and in which place I can fit
1. The Odoo ecosystem and in which place I can fit Pedro M. Baeza
3. https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammerHumor/comments/q2gjca/you_love_open_source_right/ Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
25. Odoo Days Italia 2021 Thanks for your attention
24. Tecnativa module type distribution Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
13. Apps seller profile You develop a “product” over Odoo itself, and sells such product on Odoo Apps Store or by other means. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
4. Actors in the ecosystem - Odoo SA - Associations like OCA or Associazione Odoo Italia - Implementers Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
8. The enterprise way - Disadvantages – The license - Enterprise modules are licensed under a privative one. - Extending them means that you can’t share them with the rest of community. - Maintenance goes all by your part. - You can’t benefit from community infrastructure (CI, runbot...) Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
23. For me, the ideal place is to be a whole service provider, being OCA friendly and performing migrations, that join all the existing pieces to deliver to the customer a full fledged experience packed in a simple price scheme. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
5. The enterprise way “ Your company focuses on providing final services to the customer, while Odoo SA handles the complications derived of the inner parts”. Non literal words from Odoo SA It seems to be the more natural way. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
6. The enterprise way - Advantages - You can start from scratch more easily. - Training provided by Odoo SA. - Technical support for avoiding to hire technical people. - Commercial visibility through the partner list. - You are contributing to the company that makes this possible. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
7. The enterprise way - Disadvantages - It’s a paying start (partnership fee + enterprise licenses). - You still need to do your own commercial activity, as you are not visible in the partner list until you are ready partner. - The partner list criteria is based just on sold numbers, not on quality, but as it’s built, everything makes the potential customer to think the contrary. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
9. The enterprise way - Risks - You are leading to be a mere reseller with a commission. - Increasing requirements for commercial visibility. - What is your customer target with this scheme? - The current predatory situation about getting new licenses. - “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket”. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
11. The enterprise way - Risks - What is your customer target? (2) - Then it seems clear that for the proper target, you will need to add to your system more than Odoo modules. - This complex environment makes more difficult the whole Odoo SA service vision, being very expensive if fully covered by them, or not streamlined if managed by both parts Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
12. The enterprise way - Risks - The predatory situation about new licenses - Medium or big customers requires constantly new features/customizations due to their evolution (but that doesn’t mean new users). - The requirements for the partner level forces you to constantly reach new customers... - ...so abandoning the old ones? Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
14. Apps seller profile - Advantages - You focus your skills on one thing/area. - Allows you to get to specialized customers that requires such customization, but don’t afford to pay it on their own. - Constant revenue. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
15. Apps seller profile - Disadvantages - Initial investment. - Uncertainty of revenues. - Commission cut if sold in Odoo Apps. - Piracy. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
17. Implementer with its “module layer” profile - You provide services, but also a product on top of Odoo, consisting in a set of non-opened modules that enrich the experience or complement it. - Same problems as apps seller about non shared maintenance. - Possibility of technical debt. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
2. A bit about me - Name: Pedro Manuel Baeza - Co-founder and CTO of Tecnativa - Started in 2010 with OpenERP 5.0 - President of Odoo Spanish Association (AEOdoo) - Former OCA board member - OCA active contributor Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
10. The enterprise way - Risks - What is your customer target? - Small customers? No customizations required, but you are not adding any additional value, and they will go to their SaaS or Odoo.sh bypassing you. - Medium customers? They require a custom layer, and that’s your added value, but that requires a totally different own structure. - Big customers? The enterprise costs due to the fee per user is a big cut and their demands require even dedicated resources by your part. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
16. Apps seller profile - Disadvantages (2) - Support. In a modular system, problems may come not from your app, but from other places, but you have to deal with fake bug reports. - Version handling. - Possibility of obsolescence on core or open alternative appearing. - Non shared maintenance. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
18. OCA friendly implementer profile - You provide services, but you don’t lock your product outputs (modules) at your own, releasing them to OCA ecosystem. - You get with no extra cost CI and testing infrastructure. - Shared maintenance costs. - Shared knowledge. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
19. OCA friendly implementer profile (2) - Free teaching and avoiding of technical debt. - Some can argue that it requires more time > technical debt. - Do always OCA first. - Your differentiation will come on the ability to join all the pieces together, and excel at the services level. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
21. To migrate or not to migrate? (2) - Implications due to the GDPR. - So for me, there’s no doubt: you have to migrate. - Then working also on the newest version for new customers is the natural consequence. - Little derivative: to update or not to update inside same version? You should update IMO by the same reasons. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
22. Migration “specialist” profile You perform the migrations between major versions as isolated job. Advantages - There’s currently this niche in the ecosystem. Disadvantages - The situation of the code and DB that gets to you is undetermined, and it can go wrong a lot of ways. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
20. To migrate or not to migrate? - Leaving in previous versions generates a huge technical debt: * Lack of bugfixes that are available in new versions. * Outdated libraries and foundation. * Evolution on the framework. * Fragmentation. Odoo Days Italia 2021 The Odoo ecosystem
- 266 Visite totali
- 210 Website Visite
- 56 Embedded Views
- Condivisioni social
- 0 Mi piace
- 0 Non mi piace
- 0 Commentis
- 0 Facebook
- 0 Twitter
- 0 Google+
- 1 188.8.131.52
La gestione dei cespiti su Odoo - Alessandro Camilli2691 Visite .
IOT - Industria 4.0 Raspberry PI 4 Odoo - Eliumara Lopez2536 Visite .
AFE: La fatturazione elettronica Su Odoo - Ciro Urselli2043 Visite .
Produzione e MRP con Odoo - Marco Calcagni2037 Visite .
Odoo reporting con XLSXWRITER - Andrea Piovesana2002 Visite .
Migrazione dati Odoo con OpenUpgrade - Sergio Corato1947 Visite .
I terzisti: come gestirli - Stefano Sforzi1937 Visite .
ODOO-PNLUG Un progetto win-win - Marcelo Frare1935 Visite .
Ssistema di elearning: lp_doctrina - Filippo Iovine1873 Visite .
Odoo e Industria 4.0 - Giuseppe D'Alò1860 Visite .
A vele spiegate verso OCA Bot! - Alex Comba1844 Visite .
Metodologie di Implementazione - Corrado Pagliarini1799 Visite .
Un lettore barcode per le presenze - Matteo Piciucchi1777 Visite .
L’abito non fa il monaco ma fa l’ERP - Franco Tampieri1645 Visite .